Steady growth and many exciting new projects has given rise to the following new opportunities to join our Gateshead based design team:
SENIOR CIVIL TECHNICIAN/ENGINEER
The successful candidate will be involved in a variety of projects with a particular interest in drainage and road design. Working closely with colleagues of various disciplines to deliver and oversee the preparation of detailed designs and detailing including highway and drainage, levels and earthworks, external works, and associated civil engineering infrastructure. Develop 3D drawings and implement 3D co-ordination into their current design practices and guide junior members of the team.
The ideal Senior Civil Technician/Engineer should have following competencies: -
- Minimum 4 years post qualification experience working within an engineering consultancy
- Adept at planning and organising workload and communicating effectively with engineering and AutoCAD specialists
- Have experience in working with NWL and Local Authority Highways Agency
- Accomplished level of IT skills with sound knowledge of AutoCad, Autotrack, Microdrainage and PDS / Civil 3D.
- Experience with SuDS drainage systems and Flood Risk Assessments
- Familiar with Cut and Fill Earthworks specifications and the commercial implications of setting levels for developments
- Ideally a CSCS registered card holder
- A proven experience of working to deadlines
- Accredited with a relevant HNC/HND or degree in Civil Engineering
The role of the Civil/Infrastructure Senior Technician/Engineer role will involve:
- Working on a range of projects including Housing, Commercial, Residential and Extra Care developments
- Using design based software for innovative infrastructure solutions
- Both public and private sector projects
- Working to relevant UK design standards.
To apply for this position please send your CV to Associate Stephen Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org
TRAINEE STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN APPRENTICE
Due to an increase in workload Portland Consulting Engineers is offering an apprenticeship to an ambitious Structural Engineering Technician.
Our apprenticeship programme is a fantastic opportunity to enter the industry and achieve a professional qualification, whilst gaining work experience and earning a wage. This is achieved through a four year contract with a day release programme in which you attend college one day a week and the other four days are spent in one of our offices working alongside our experienced professionals.
It will require a high level of personal commitment in order to complete the programme so we are looking for people who are able to demonstrate the following:
• Commitment towards personal and professional development
• Time management skills
• Eye for detail and problem solving
• Hard work
The role is to provide technical support to Structural Engineers who design, build and manage construction projects within our engineering design teams. A technician's work could involve:
• Design & Detail - surveying the site and producing design drawings in AutoCAD
• Clients – communicating with clients via telephone, letters and email.
• Reports – writing and/or contributing towards reports issued to clients.
Key elements of the role include:
• Production of CAD drawings
• Preparation of simple calculations
• Supporting the administration of projects
• Ensuring outputs meet the required standards
• Meeting agreed deadlines
• Maintaining drawing register
• Working as a member of a team.
• Contributing to providing solutions to problems.
• Working both in an office environment and on site.
Upon completion of the apprenticeship and subject to your overall performance, there may be an opportunity to go onto further study to enable you to be qualified to degree level and achieve Chartered Engineer in the future.
To be a Structural Engineering Technician you should:
• be good at mathematics and physics
• be creative and practical
• be adaptable and persevering
• be interested in using computers for design work, calculations, and testing designs
• be able to produce neat and accurate technical drawings
• be able to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organise projects
• work well with other people
• be able to organise the work of others
A minimum of five GCSEs grade 5 or above which must include English, Maths, Science and a technology related subject.
We ask that you must have a 5 or above in GCSE Maths in order to cope with the demands of the course and work.
Please note this position is only open to school leavers aged 16-18.
To apply for this position please send your CV to Managing Director Lee Barr at email@example.com
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
This Job Applicant Privacy Notice sets out what personal data we, Portland Consulting Engineers, hold about you and how we collect and use it during and after the recruitment process. It applies to anyone who is applying to work for us, whether as an employee, worker, contractor, consultant, intern, volunteer, partner or director(together referred to as ‘Job Applicant’ or ‘you’).
Please note that we will not necessarily hold, use or share all of the types of personal data described in this Privacy Notice in relation to you. The specific types of data about you that we will hold, use and share will depend on the role for which you are applying, the nature of the recruitment process, how far you progress in the recruitment process and your individual circumstances.
We are required by data protection law to give you the information in this Privacy Notice. It is important that you read the Privacy Notice carefully, together with any other similar or additional information that we might give you from time to time about how we collect and use your personal data. Should your application be successful, when you start work for us, we will provide you with another privacy notice that explains how we deal with your personal data whilst you are working for us.
This Privacy Notice applies from 25 May 2018, when the General Data Protection Regulation comes into force. It does not give you any contractual rights. We may update this Privacy Notice at any time.
Who is the controller?
Lee Barr, Managing Director – firstname.lastname@example.org is the “controller” for the purposes of data protection law. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you.
What is personal data?
Personal datameans any information relating to a living individual who can be identified (directly or indirectly) in particular by reference to an identifier (e.g. name, NI number, employee number, email address, physical features). It can be factual (e.g. contact details or date of birth), an opinion about an individual’s actions or behaviour, or information that may otherwise impact that individual in a personal or business capacity.
Data protection law divides personal data into two categories: ordinary personal data and special category data. Any personal data that reveals racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health conditions, sexual life or sexual orientation, or biometric or genetic data that is used to identify an individual is known as special categorydata. (The rest is ordinary personal data).
Equality and Diversity
Portland Consulting Engineers is an equal opportunities employer and operates a comprehensive staff training program which proactively encourages Continual Personal Development. Career opportunities are available for those possessing exceptional design, technical and project management skills.