Portland Consulting Engineers have a strong design culture. We are committed to encourage and nurture talent within individuals, endeavouring to provide the very best service.
We are seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join our dynamic and growing team. You will be responsible for aspects of design work from conception through to technical approval/completion on projects typically ranging from £0.5m to £20m.
Potential schemes you may be working on range from accommodation, retail developments, car showrooms, educational buildings, commercial offices and industrial and manufacturing buildings.
Working within a successful growing consultancy and operating across a matrix of projects, responsibilities may include:
- Client facing role responsible for all aspect of the delivery of projects.
- Scheme designs and input into scheme design reports.
- Delivery of detailed design including full tender and construction packages.
- Liaison with statutory authorities, architects, the design team and contractors.
- Attendance at client, design and site meetings, and site inspections and reporting.
- Management of the project to ensure quality standards are maintained with a profitable delivery.
In addition to having a confident, commercial and professional outlook you will need to have:
- M.Eng in Civil or Structural Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Chartered Membership or Associate Membership of the ICE or IStructE, or approaching qualified status.
- Qualitative and quantitative experience in building structures.
- Strong communication, analytical, technical design and drawing/sketching skills
- Be a self-motivated team player with good people skills.
- Competent Designer with Masterseries experience.
Duties will include
- Carrying out structural surveys of buildings and structures, and providing advice on any issues that may arise. Analysing and reporting on structural defects and remediation if required.
- Preparation of conceptual and outline designs for structural schemes.
- Preparation of detailed design calculations to British Standards, Eurocodes and relevant design guidance notes.
- With the assistance of a Technician, preparation of detailed design drawings and specifications for Tender and Construction purposes.
- Visiting sites during the Construction phase to monitor progress and provide advice to Contractors.
- Accomplished level of IT skills with comprehensive knowledge of MasterSeries.
- Day-to-day support to colleagues within the office.
- Excellent communication skills, in both written and spoken English.
- Minimum 8 years structural design experience in core materials; concrete, steel, masonry and timber.
To apply for this position, please send your CV to our Office at email@example.com
STRUCTURAL REVIT TECHNICIAN
We are seeking a Structural Technician with Revit experience to join our dynamic and growing team.
Innovative design and excellence in engineering are key to the ethos of the practice which will require you to be a key member of the team producing high quality models and drawings from inception through to technical approval/completion on projects ranging from £0.5m to £20m.
Working on a wide range of projects, from single unit projects to multi-storey steel, concrete and timber framed structures , you must have 6 years of experience using Revit in a design practice working on structural based projects.
Required Skills/ Experience
- HNC in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience using Revit and AutoCAD.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Be able to work well as part of a close-knit design team.
- Ability to work and analyse 2D /3D projects.
- Experience of detailing concrete, steel, masonry and timber.
Projects include commercial, retail, mixed use, and residential developments.
This position would suit an enthusiastic, well qualified and ambitious professional that is seeking a challenging career opportunity.
What you need to succeed
- The successful Structural Technician should have approximately 6 years' experience. working on structural building projects. Less experience will also be considered If there is a clear drive to learn.
- Revit Proficiency essential.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD 2D and Civils 3D desirable but not essential.
- Experience in preparing general arrangement structural drawings.
- Strong communication skills.
- Exercise the skill, care and judgement to be expected of an experienced engineering technician to ensure that structural engineering drawings for which you are responsible are complete, correctly detailed.
- Take responsibility for checking own work and work produced by others, including external consultants, sub-consultants and contractors, embracing drawings and associated production deliverables.
- Ensure that document management and QA procedures are complied with.
- Complete work to agreed time scales, programme and budgetary constraints.
- Experience of new build in structural steelwork, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber.
- Experience in refurbishment and change of use.
- Ability to estimate time required to prepare and complete drawings and to work to agreed deadlines.
To apply for this position, please send your CV to our Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
CIVIL/INFRASTRUCTURE SENIOR TECHNICIAN/ENGINEER
The successful candidate will be involved in a variety of projects with a particular interest in drainage and road design. Working closely with colleagues of various disciplines to deliver and oversee the preparation of detailed designs and detailing including highway and drainage, levels and earthworks, external works, and associated civil engineering infrastructure. Develop 3D drawings and implement 3D co-ordination into their current design practices and guide junior members of the team.
The ideal Civil/Infrastructure Senior Technician/Engineer should have following competencies: -
- Minimum 2 years post qualification experience working within an engineering consultancy
- Adept at planning and organising workload and communicating effectively with engineering and AutoCAD specialists
- Have experience in working with NWL and Local Authority Highways Agency
- Accomplished level of IT skills with sound knowledge of AutoCad, Autotrack, Microdrainage and PDS / Civil 3D.
- Experience with SuDS drainage systems and Flood Risk Assessments
- Familiar with Cut and Fill Earthworks specifications and the commercial implications of setting levels for developments
- Ideally a CSCS registered card holder
- A proven experience of working to deadlines
- Accredited with a relevant HNC/HND or degree in Civil Engineering
The role of the Civil/Infrastructure Senior Technician/Engineer role will involve:
- Working on a range of projects including Housing, Commercial, Residential and Extra Care developments
- Using design based software for innovative infrastructure solutions
- Both public and private sector projects
- Working to relevant UK design standards.
To apply for this position please send your CV to Associate Stephen Hunter at email@example.com
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
This Job Applicant Privacy Notice sets out what personal data we, Portland Consulting Engineers, hold about you and how we collect and use it during and after the recruitment process. It applies to anyone who is applying to work for us, whether as an employee, worker, contractor, consultant, intern, volunteer, partner or director(together referred to as ‘Job Applicant’ or ‘you’).
Please note that we will not necessarily hold, use or share all of the types of personal data described in this Privacy Notice in relation to you. The specific types of data about you that we will hold, use and share will depend on the role for which you are applying, the nature of the recruitment process, how far you progress in the recruitment process and your individual circumstances.
We are required by data protection law to give you the information in this Privacy Notice. It is important that you read the Privacy Notice carefully, together with any other similar or additional information that we might give you from time to time about how we collect and use your personal data. Should your application be successful, when you start work for us, we will provide you with another privacy notice that explains how we deal with your personal data whilst you are working for us.
This Privacy Notice applies from 25 May 2018, when the General Data Protection Regulation comes into force. It does not give you any contractual rights. We may update this Privacy Notice at any time.
Who is the controller?
Lee Barr, Managing Director – firstname.lastname@example.org is the “controller” for the purposes of data protection law. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you.
What is personal data?
Personal datameans any information relating to a living individual who can be identified (directly or indirectly) in particular by reference to an identifier (e.g. name, NI number, employee number, email address, physical features). It can be factual (e.g. contact details or date of birth), an opinion about an individual’s actions or behaviour, or information that may otherwise impact that individual in a personal or business capacity.
Data protection law divides personal data into two categories: ordinary personal data and special category data. Any personal data that reveals racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health conditions, sexual life or sexual orientation, or biometric or genetic data that is used to identify an individual is known as special categorydata. (The rest is ordinary personal data).
Equality and Diversity
Portland Consulting Engineers is an equal opportunities employer and operates a comprehensive staff training program which proactively encourages Continual Personal Development. Career opportunities are available for those possessing exceptional design, technical and project management skills.