Portland Consulting Engineers have a strong design culture. We are committed to encourage and nurture talent within individuals, endeavouring to provide the very best service.
Steady growth and a number of exciting new projects has given rise to a new opportunity for a Structural Engineer to join the Gateshead based design team.
We are seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join our dynamic and growing team. You will be responsible for aspects of design work from conception through to technical approval/completion on projects typically ranging from £0.5m to £20m.
Potential schemes you may be working on range from accommodation, retail developments, car showrooms, educational buildings, commercial offices and industrial and manufacturing buildings.
Working within a successful growing consultancy and operating across a matrix of projects, responsibilities may include:
- Client facing role responsible for all aspect of the delivery of projects
- Scheme designs and input into scheme design reports
- Delivery of detailed design including full tender and construction packages
- Liaison with statutory authorities, architects, the design team and contractors
- Attendance at client, design and site meetings, and site inspections and reporting
- Management of the project to ensure quality standards are maintained with a profitable delivery
In addition to having a confident, commercial and professional outlook you will need to have:
- M.Eng in Civil or Structural Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Chartered Membership or Associate Membership of the ICE or IStructE, or approaching qualified status
- Qualitative and quantitative experience in building structures
- Strong communication, analytical, technical design and drawing/sketching skills
- Be a self-motivated team player with good people skills.
- Competent Designer with Masterseries experience
Duties will include
- Carrying out structural surveys of buildings and structures, and providing advice on any issues that may arise. Analysing and reporting on structural defects and remediation if required
- Preparation of conceptual and outline designs for structural schemes
- Preparation of detailed design calculations to British Standards, Eurocodes and relevant design guidance notes.
- With the assistance of a Technician, preparation of detailed design drawings and specifications for Tender and Construction purposes.
- Visiting sites during the Construction phase to monitor progress and provide advice to Contractors
- Accomplished level of IT skills with comprehensive knowledge of MasterSeries
- Day-to-day support to colleagues within the office
- Excellent communication skills, in both written and spoken English
- Minimum 8 years structural design experience in core materials; concrete, steel, masonry and timber
To apply for this position, please send your CV to our Office at email@example.com
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
This Job Applicant Privacy Notice sets out what personal data we, Portland Consulting Engineers, hold about you and how we collect and use it during and after the recruitment process. It applies to anyone who is applying to work for us, whether as an employee, worker, contractor, consultant, intern, volunteer, partner or director(together referred to as ‘Job Applicant’ or ‘you’).
Please note that we will not necessarily hold, use or share all of the types of personal data described in this Privacy Notice in relation to you. The specific types of data about you that we will hold, use and share will depend on the role for which you are applying, the nature of the recruitment process, how far you progress in the recruitment process and your individual circumstances.
We are required by data protection law to give you the information in this Privacy Notice. It is important that you read the Privacy Notice carefully, together with any other similar or additional information that we might give you from time to time about how we collect and use your personal data. Should your application be successful, when you start work for us, we will provide you with another privacy notice that explains how we deal with your personal data whilst you are working for us.
This Privacy Notice applies from 25 May 2018, when the General Data Protection Regulation comes into force. It does not give you any contractual rights. We may update this Privacy Notice at any time.
Who is the controller?
Lee Barr, Managing Director – firstname.lastname@example.org is the “controller” for the purposes of data protection law. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you.
What is personal data?
Personal datameans any information relating to a living individual who can be identified (directly or indirectly) in particular by reference to an identifier (e.g. name, NI number, employee number, email address, physical features). It can be factual (e.g. contact details or date of birth), an opinion about an individual’s actions or behaviour, or information that may otherwise impact that individual in a personal or business capacity.
Data protection law divides personal data into two categories: ordinary personal data and special category data. Any personal data that reveals racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health conditions, sexual life or sexual orientation, or biometric or genetic data that is used to identify an individual is known as special categorydata. (The rest is ordinary personal data).
Equality and Diversity
Portland Consulting Engineers is an equal opportunities employer and operates a comprehensive staff training program which proactively encourages Continual Personal Development. Career opportunities are available for those possessing exceptional design, technical and project management skills.